"Oh how lovely..."

"Oh how lovely..."

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Hill Cumorah Pageant Highlights!!

 
 
Sister Gillespie's journal entry from July 11, 2013:
Wow! Today has been one of the most exhausting days of my life...and also one of the funnest, best days of my life!
Today was the first day of us in "Pageant Mode" at the church historic sites in Palmyra.

 Happy, exhausted

 So. much. fun. sooooo much fun!
 
So here are just a few of the highlights from the week and a half of the Hill Cumorah Pageant!: 
 Little brother Seth!!!
(Didn't see them on the same day...just happened 
to wear the same dress...)
  • Over 2,000 people came through the Book of Mormon Historic Publication Site on Saturday (July 13th)... it was AWESOME!!! I was nearly yelling for 2 hours straight as I was explaining about the process of binding the Book of Mormon... My voice was shot--at church on Sunday I was nearly singing base!
  • Entertaining hoards of previously unruly children in both the Art Gallery and Harmony Pennsylvania exhibits at the BofMHPS by just telling them it was "Story time"
  • Got to see my little brother Seth! (As well as my cousin Andrew!) [My companions tell me that I "speak in 'story book'" ... they got a kick out of meeting my brother and discovering that its not only me who speaks that way! Same thing when Barbara came!]
  • Going to bed "delightfully exhuasted"!!!
  • A little boy named "Ty" who was probably about 3 years old...super sweet and made his parents blush!
  • Spent 3 hours in the Peter Whitmer Log Home with Sister Johnson2 in the sweltering heat...
  • Teaching people in the Chapel at the Peter Whitmer Farm, about the hand of the Lord in the lives of the Three Witnesses of the Book of Mormon.
Little Sister Barbara!!!
Not sure what's up with the little duplicate shadowy picture...
  • Acting out a few different scenes from the Hill Cumorah Pageant to a group of about 50 teenagers.
  • Got to see my little sister Barbara!
  • Acting out my best rendition of Joseph recieving and protecting the Golden Plates, to a group of Chinese children.
  • Sister Johnson2: "Contrary to popular belief, it is 'plaster of Paris' ... not 'plaster of PEARS'."
  • So tired Sunday when packing up to return home that I fell asleep on my suitcase...
Heavenly Father definitely answered my prayers. I prayed that I would be able to love the people who came in, even when there were hundreds, and that I would be able to love and be enthusiastic about what I was telling them...even when I'd been on my feet all day, talking almost non-stop about the same things over and over again. ---And He blessed me in just those ways. There is no other explanation for being able to nearly lose my voice telling hundreds of people about the process of folding a "signature" booklet of the first 16 pages of the Book of Mormon, and still be excited to see more people to share this with.
I loved being able to recognize the Spirit working through me to help the visitors that came into the sites during Pageant time. ...There were so many people, and I only had just a matter of minutes with them. I had no idea what they needed...but that is just fine, because we have a loving Father in Heaven who does.
I know that Heavenly Father knows each and every one of us. I am confident that He loves us. I am grateful to be serving as a missionary, representing His Son, Jesus Christ. I feel so honored to be able to pin on that black name tag with my name, as well as the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment